- Make sure traps (the U in the piping) are full of water, since the water in little used toilets or sinks tends to evaporate.
- Make sure all caps are on tightly and secured.
- As a last resort, a small amount of bleach poured into a drain may help.
CHEMICAL DRAIN CLEANERS
- Use liquid drain cleaners as opposed to crystal drain cleaners. Crystal drain cleaners may solidify in your pipes.
- Be careful about using chemical drain cleaners in drains that are completely clogged. If the cleaner does not clear the clog, the chemical may damage your bathtub or sink after sitting dormant on porcelain.
- Stringy vegetables such as celery and banana peels are very hard to grind up and can clog garbage disposals. The stringy parts separate and wrap themselves around the mechanism.
- Lemon peels seem to temporarily take care of bad odors from disposals. See how on our first question in the FAQ's section.
- Run the water while operating your disposal. This helps push foods through and keeps the disposal from clogging. Cold water works best.
- Leaking toilets can become an expensive ordeal. Thankfully, most of the time they can be fixed by replacing a faulty flush valve. They are inexpensive and extremely easy to put in.
- Make sure the water level in the tank is at proper level. See Here how to check.
- Toilet water ports or jets can become plugged with calcium or mineral buildup from hard water. You will find several holes, or ports, under the rim of the toilet bowl. Take a metal coat hanger and poke the end of the hanger up into the ports to release any lose buildup. Also check the main port at the bottom of the toilet stool, at the top of the main hole.
- Turning down the temperature on your water heater is an easy way to save money and prevent scalding burns. We recommend setting the water heater to no more than 120 degrees F.
- Flush your water heater at least once a year. This will prolong the life of your water heater by reducing sediment buildup and keeping valves operational.
- When you leave for vacation or an extended time period, turn your water heater down to its lowest setting. This will save you money and prolong the life of the appliance.
We Carry The Finest Brands